Environmental Policy Statement of Heriot-Watt University
"We shall operate our facilities in a responsible way with concern for the
environment and for the communities in which we operate"
In order to achieve this objective, the Court of Heriot-Watt University adopts the
Heriot-Watt University will
- Operate its facilities to meet and, if possible, improve on legal environmental
- Develop knowledge of the environmental impact of its activities, seeking to move towards
long-term principles of sustainability.
- Include environmental issues within investment and business decisions.
- Avoid the use of non-replaceable resources wherever possible.
- Use, wherever practicable and consistent with required levels of quality, waste and
- Influence, by its purchasing power, suppliers to adopt responsible environmental
- Work to improve environmental performance continually, particularly by
- Minimising the use of fossil fuels by good practice in transport both of people and of
goods being supplied.
- Minimising the release of waste materials to the environment.
- Preventing pollution at University sites.
- Work towards the adoption of an Environmental Management System for the University, such
as ISO 14001.
- Involve and inform staff, students, visitors and other stakeholders to develop their
awareness of environmental issues.
- Liaise with the local communities, and their representatives where the University
operates on environmental matters.